what is seo?
Learn about what SEO is, and why it’s important to your business.
SEO, or Search Engine Optimisation to give it it’s full name, is the process of generating traffic to your driving school website, organically, by improving rankings in the search engines.
With research showing websites that appear on the first page of Google receive 95% of all clicks, and furthermore sites appearing higher up the page gaining the majority of that traffic, it’s now more important than ever to have a website with good SEO to ensure it’s success.
SEO is a highly complex, technical area of website development and digital marketing, but we hope to simplify it for you and show you how with a few simple tricks you can boost your driving school websites SEO score and climb the rankings.
how does seo work?
Simply put, SEO works on a score based system, with the higher scored websites being displayed further up the SERP (search engine results page) than those with lower scores. Search engines (Google, Bing, etc) use highly complex algorithms and continuously scan websites to determine how well they match relevant search terms their users are inputting.
Search engines work on a keyword based structure; someone types in a question or statement into Google, and it brings back the pages it thinks are relevant. Having this in the forefront of your mind when you are creating or updating your driving school website will put you in a good position when it comes to how highly you rank in the SERPs.
how to do seo
SEO can be easily manageable when split into two categories; ‘onsite SEO’ and ‘offsite SEO’.
It’s important to understand that SEO is a very complex, technical area of digital marketing, so whether you are an independent instructor or you are a driving school with a digital marketing team, external help will probably be required at some point should you wish to get the most out of it.
Onsite SEO is exactly what the name suggests; activities taken out on your driving school website to improve your SEO score. This generally means making your website accessible and relevant for your users, and creating a good user experience. Here are a few Onsite SEO activities:
- Keyword rich content – Creating great content that includes keywords that your users might search for, such as “driving lessons”, “intensive driving lessons” and “pass plus”.
- Technical Auditing – Ensuring that your website is technically sound, such as improving page load speeds, efficient code and fixing user experience errors such as 404 error codes.
- Usability – Ensuring that your website works for every user on every device as smoothly as possible. This is your ‘user experience’.
- Navigation – Improving how users navigate your website, making sure that the key information is no more than 3 clicks away from landing on the home page, with lots of internal links apparent at all times.
Offsite SEO is exactly that, things you do outside of your websites domain to help improve the SEO score and increase organic traffic.
Offsite SEO largely consists of ‘link building’, the process of linking other websites to your site to piggyback their SEO power and make you appear more reputable to the search engines. Some typical link building activities for driving schools are:
- Local PR– Have you sponsored something? Been a guest speaker at a local event? Had something important to say in the community? If someone has put an article on their site about anything you have done locally, make sure your website is linked.
- Directories – Directories are a fantastic way of earning some free/low-cost links to your website. Directories such as Yell, thomsonlocal and PassFinder are just a few.
- Industry Experts – There are many industry experts and institutions that operate within the driving school market. Reaching out to these experts are offering your wisdom in exchange for a link to your website is a great SEO trick.
key seo resources
Of course we have only scratched the surface on the world of SEO, but the information we have provided above should give you the step up compared with many of your competitors in your area.
If you would like to read more about SEO, why not check out these articles:
what we do
Here at aim we build all of our websites with SEO in mind. That means super quick loading speeds, easy to navigate pages and technical brilliance working away in the background. All of these ensure that you are leading with your front foot forward and gives you the best chance of ranking highly in the search engine pages. All that’s left for you to do is add fantastic keyword rich content, video and photo content and work away at creating reputable backlinks to really boost your score.
If you want to have a chat with us about what else you could do to increase your website score, or would like a driving instructor website that works, why not get in touch.